Thursday, May 8, 2008

Blasts from the past.

In recent weeks I have been lucky enough to reunite with some friends I haven't seen in years -- literally, unfortunately. First, Miss Brandi L. was in Royal Oak for a few days, a place she used to call home. Of course she had to fall in love and move to New York before I fell in love and moved back to Michigan.

Brandi and I met while studying abroad and for a short time did a pretty decent job of staying in touch. Eventually we lost touch, destined to be reunited thanks to Cara, with whom we both have remained in contact. Cara, Brandi and their girls headed out for a night of wine and desserts, and I dragged Dan along, not understanding it was for some relatively quiet wine-sipping at Vinotecca and not loud, crammed-into-a-dark-smoky-bar, drink guzzling. Duly noted.

Anyway, hopefully this will be the first of many reunions with Brandi.

The second visit came a couple of days later. My buddy Derek from high school was in Michigan for some family functions and had to spend a night in Detroit before jetting off to his orientation at Harvard. I snatched him up at his hotel and he joined us for some manicotti. Traditional Buyza fare he hasn't had it many years.



The last time I saw Derek was when he visited me just after I graduated from college and we went out for Mexican at El Azteco in Lansing. We determined this was likely 7 years ago, which is unbelievable to us, as we frequently e-mail, IM or talk on the phone. I'm just glad it's nearly impossible for him to be shipped off to Iraq for a third time, as he's just days away from officially bidding the Army adieu.

Before he left I asked Claire to take a picture of us. Though she claims she's going to be an artist and make clothes and be a ballerina and have a bakery, I think she should consider throwing photography onto the pile.

Just a few short days after DB's visit, the incomparable Erin Halfmann -- excuse me, Brainerd -- waddled into town for a family baby shower at her parents' new house in Howell. Saturday night we met at my sister's house and I got to capture both of my human incubators at one time.



We had fun the next day at her shower, where I was reunited with Collen (now) Price, who I haven't seen since before Erin moved to Maine seven years ago and she had just had her first baby. Now she's got four and one of them is in the form of a 3-year-old daughter, Iris. She and Claire became fast friends.



It was so wonderful to see Erin, who I still can't believe is about to have a little girl of her own despite the fact I've seen it for myself.



Now I must go try to make some sense of the old crap of mine my mom got sick of looking at so she gave it to me. Pictures from high school, pre-pubescent love notes. I fear the unpacking and throwing away in some form will never end.

BUT, something good did come from the transfer. SOMEONE was pretty pleased to inherit some tap shoes that are almost just her size.


No comments: