Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Knitting for change.


OK, so the knitting had nothing to do with Obama, change or wanting change, or needing change for a dollar.

But last night I had to cover Barack Obama speaking at North Farmington High School. The only problem? Press had to arrive about 2 1/2 hours early. One of the Secret Service agents searching my bag found my knitting (with wooden needles so as to not set off any detectors) asked, "Expecting him to be boring?"

I responded, "Not at all, when he starts in two and a half hours."


My two competitors and I took our spots behind the media barricade on the floor when we noticed they put chairs up on the balcony behind us for overflow press. We decided it would be a better vantage point and moved up there. It was perfect. Obama's press entourage took up more than the space below, so it was a wise choice to move regardless.

Although at first I kind of dreaded the circus I thought it would be, I actually got in and out quite easily. It was an interesting night, an interesting event, and no doubt a snapshot in history (in a way).

And to top it all off, I got quite of bit of knitting done on one of my custom orders done before it started.

Click HERE to read my story.

Click HERE to see what's been added to my Etsy shop lately.

Kirsten

No comments: