Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Buyza Farewell Tour

It officially has begun. I have an office in Chicago, an office in Lansing, friends in both places... thus, the farewell tour.

This is my final voyage to Lansing for work. Yesterday I got a great gift from our office manager, Ethyl, a kit to grow sprouts (she's a meat-and-potatoes kind of gal, but she knows me well) and an herb garden, along with a really sturdy tool bag. The gift was unexpected and I love it.



There was a lunchtime pizza party and we all had a little fun playing with my new baby, Mr. Mac (I'll write about my budding love affair with Apple later). Here's some of the evidence and proof of the goofy bastards I work with.









After attending an annual awards ceremony in Grand Rapids with co-workers, I met up with Jay at Moriarty's, our old haunt. When Jay and I first started hanging out when I would come to Lansing, she lived nearby and we would meet there for Bloody Marys regularly. Now we're old, poor and tired and we mostly hang out at her house on the rare occasion that I stay in town and don't drive down to Ferndale. This being my last night staying in Lansing for work, we decided we would force our tired butts out for a drink, which turned into three. But we had a great time swapping stories about kids as I prepare to be a stepmom of sorts, laughing about past events and just a generally girly therapy session. It was wonderful, though I'm awfully tired today.

My last day in the Lansing office is today and our farm director, Janelle, was nice enough to bring in some cupcakes. A fine way to send me off and load me up with sugar before my final trip back to Chicago, which I've called home for more than four years.

Tomorrow I'll attend a farewell lunch with my Chicago work crew at a great restaurant down the street from our office downtown, across the street from the park where I've spent so many lunch hours along the river. Saturday I'll meet at my neighbor, Shoe's Pub, with my Chicago friends, most of whom are Michigan natives and themselves are plotting their escape from the city in upcoming months and years.

No comments: