Friday, March 21, 2008

Educational experiences

This week has taught me many things. An old lesson is that I hate moving. Physically, emotionally exhausting, moving is for the birds. I have muscles aching in areas I didn't know I had muscles, and a black and blue foot accompanied by a limp, where I dropped my box springs on my right foot yesterday. I'm going to pretend it's nothing serious and keep on limping.

I've also had a chance to observe some daytime TV, something I haven't regularly done since I worked the late shift at the State Journal. As my constant background noise (having packed up my stereo and CDs) I've learned that Drew Carey is doing a fine job hosting The Price Is Right, bringing a little sarcasm and wit (a bit much for some of the blue haired contestants) to a daytime TV classic. I've been able to shout wrong answers at the TV during Jeopardy, as it sadly is on at 3:30 p.m. in Chicago, so I've not been able to watch it regularly since I moved here. I've learned there's a game show about crossword puzzles and a whole lot of women on Maury who just aren't sure who their baby daddy is.





I've learned, in some ways, the friends who are really going to miss me and the friends who I'm really going to miss. Last night I had a lovely dinner and drinks with three of my favorite Chicagoans, who I will very much miss dinner and breakfasting with, Sally, Echo and Jon. We all were brought together by a job (or in Jon's case restaurant ownership) and our friendships have flourished simultaneously over the years. And Echo, well, he's stuck with Auntie Kirsten whether he likes me or not. I've learned I can never take enough pictures of him or tire of hearing his laugh.

I've learned that all of my favorite Chicago foods make me feel like a giant greaseball, but they are oh, so good. I've learned I'm going to miss my old neighborhood, as I sit here next to my man, each of us blogging and Scrabbing, while there are so many other things we should be doing. And, for that matter, I've learned that my lack of tears this week only confirms the fact that I can't wait to start our little family in the mitten.

No comments: